Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Toys for the Big Boys - Super Robots

Super Robots - What makes them special?


"I wanna car, chicks dig the car!" Is one of the famous line in the 1997 movie Batman and Robin uttered by Robin in the opening scene. It made me think, "Wow, even superheroes are fascinated with cars, awesome tech you see them making robots or armor like Ironman.  The influence of having that kind of fire power at your side, to pilot, wear or operate is such a surreal dream we all got and was influenced by Japan's Mecca Mania. 

Who would even dare to say they don't know Voltes 5, Voltron, Daimos, Optimus Prime or the Power Rangers.

Growing up in the 80's and 90's is a lot of fun.  We experienced most of things kids nowadays would dream to experience. We had the chance to see how the Cassette Tape evolved into today's MP3, Betamax to BlueRay, Game and Watch to PSP or Nintendo DS, Attari to WII/PS3/Xbox.  we saw the world change right in-front of us.  It was not just defining to our growth but definitive to evolution.

Saturday morning cartoons was composed of Superheroes and Super Robots in an alternate time-slot. It was common to all kids back then to watch these cartoons.  I remember "Shaider - Ang Pulis Pangkalawakan" (Space Sherif) as the first Filipino dubbed sentai then.  Aside from Voltes V and Bioman kids would shout "Vabiloz!" or "Let's volt-in!" and sometimes the chant from Bioman's count "Red 1" and so on and so forth.

I learned from my Grandmother that during Marcos time Voltes V and similar themed anime was banned to be aired in national TV due to the story of rebellion to tyranny.  Since it was Martial Law any hint or related to rebellion is prohibited.

It was in the early 80's where in I watched the Superhero themed cartoons and Transformers, apparently that was about Good and Evil and doesn't invoke rebellion. (To kids - rebellion?)

Anyways, we all loved and wanted to be Richard, pilot of Daimos and have an angel Erika to be our special someone.  It was a robot that not only made you want to have your own robot but learn karate and be a ninja type of guy and have a robot copy all your action moves.

Of course the epitome of all Super Robot Collectors, VOLTES V.  We all wanted to e Steeve Armstrong,  pilot of Cruizer 1 and leader of the Voltes Team. Somehow, he was good looking, sounded great (thanks to the English Dubbed) and fearles.

We all wanted the Godaikin Voltes, we all wanted to have a piece of this toy, we all gathered around someone owning this kind of toy.  I think, aside from the Kenner Superman back then this was the next best thing for me. (Don't judge me guys, I said I was a fan).

We all know the weapons, somehow everything then was voice activated and kids in the neighborhood were shouting "Lazer Sword" then using a stick as a saber, when the tops came in, it was "Ultra Electro Magnetic Top!", man you gotta love our era. It was TV, imagination, Toys and back to imagination.

Now, 30 years later I learned that Voltes V was a rip off due to some company dispute from Combattler V.  I saw a glimpse from YouTube clips of this ancestor of the Voltes Team, I gotta admit, everything looks almost exactly the same with only minimal improvements in favor of Voltes V. Hey, Filipinos are known for being respectful, let's give due credit to Combatler V for paving the way for Voltes V.

Aside from Transformers (Needs a separate review) came Voltron: Defender of the Universe along with a narrator we all knew the voice and love; Peter Cullen. Voltron was an American based mecca with Japanese origins.  This time, its not ships, they were 5 giant robot lions and a story not based on Earth but from a distant galaxy; a different planet.

Simple story, simple action, very American-like animation where-in the narrator would explain the scene as it happens.  It was my first look at robot animals that combine and become one giant robot. And maybe because it was a trend of 5-man-team, this followed in the same tradition. It was the death of a member that captured my attention for this animated super robot aside from the awe in each part being a mechanical lion.

After all has been said and done, its been 30 years. All of these are great parts of my childhood, I would never have wanted to change anything. Everything was perfect the way it was.  God is very kind to have given me the chance to own these precious toys from my childhood.  Seeing them everyday seems like relief, it's like growing younger.  Having these as part of my collection is no status-quo or does not mean I have that luxury. I can never pay back the feeling of being refreshed and hearkened back to my childhood and be able to play and re-live memories.

It is through these toys that I have, I get to share my childhood to my kids. I get to be a kid and play with my kids.  It is through these toys my kids and I get bonded. A bond beyond comprehension, a bond made strong as our childhood collide.

Thanks for taking time in reading my blog.  Hope all of you can support and subscribe. God Bless us all and to God I give back the glory.


Copyright njvelasquez 2012
All characters mentioned and shown are owned by their respective company.
 Voltes V, Combatler V & Daimos and related character is copyrighted and owned by Toei Co and its subsidiaries. Toys are SOC copyright owned by Bandai and its subsidiaries.
Voltron and related Characters owned by Toynami and its subsidiaries.
No copyright infringement intended in the creation of this review.

18 comments:

  1. I grew up watching Voltron, Voltes V and Daimos. I think the stories before were a lot better compared to now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voltesssssssu faiva!!!

    Hahaha.. I miss watching these robots. I wonder if they become a reality in the future.. Not far, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Metal Voltes V must cost a lot these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy am I glad I was a kid after martial law. I can't imagine living without my rebellious cartoons! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am actually scared of Robots. I do not know..they're like threat to mankind though some are real superheroes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i grew up watching up!! now missing too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These toys are classic. I hope to watch this shows again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. those toys brings back my younger memories haha! classic indeed! though, i love playing remote control airplanes and cars now! isip bata prin haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no chance of getting these toys when i was a child... I only had tansan and holen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. my son will love your collection though he knows that toy figurine is so expensive and he always hold on to himself when asking to buy for it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who doesn't love dolls! hahaha! ...I mean action figures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah! I missed those old-time anime like Voltes V and Daimos. I may likely introduce them to my little boy with this robot toys collection, he will surely love them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I miss the cartoons way back. My husband and I would always tell them to our kids and would even look for them in youtube, so they could see. Loved the toys by the way! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. If only money permits, I will start my own robot collection as well. I will start with Voltron. !

    ReplyDelete
  15. the photos brings back memories.. how i wish i own one of this toy robots..

    ReplyDelete
  16. VOLTES V...
    epic animated series and
    I could still remember some episodes.

    Kakaaliw at kakatuwa talagang
    alalahanin ang mga nakaraan...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember Voltes 5 and the controversy during the Marcos Years. The advent of the Transformers gave another perspective to the robot era.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, I even know how to sing Voltes V theme song. hehehe - KarenT

    ReplyDelete